Robert D. Fish
Robert "Bob" Fish started his legal career at Lyon & Lyon LLP in 1990. He developed his own practice from 1995 through 2001, which then became the Intellectual Property group at the general practice firm of Rutan & Tucker, LLP. To provide greater flexibility in handling the needs of his many start-up clients, he has now returned to a boutique practice at Fish & Associates.
Bob has attracted a world-class clientele in a wide array of fields, including medical devices, chemicals and pharmaceuticals, electronics, computer software and business methods, and mechanical arts. Exemplary clients include Fluor Corp. (engineering and construction); University of California, Irvine (pharmaceutical and biomedical technologies); Zetera Corp. (computer storage technologies); Autogenomics, Inc. ("lab on a chip"); Lantronix, Inc. (electronic communications); Koenigsegg Automotive AB ("world-class supercar"); the Parallax Group (consumer products); and Moraga (stem cells). Bob's group has also prosecuted numerous matters for Honeywell International, Inc. (electronic materials); ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; and SRI International (energy storage and computer applications). Several foreign law firms have employed Bob as their U.S. counsel, including Nam & Nam (a premier IP firm in South Korea), and K&S Partners (a leading law firm in India).
Bob currently oversees more than one thousand active patent and numerous trademark matters, including extensive foreign filings. He is also involved in several patent enforcement programs, which include in-bound and out-bound licensing, arbitration, and litigation.
A seasoned litigator, Bob has extensive experience successfully litigating in state and federal courts throughout the United States and has overseen cases in several European countries. Bob has successfully appealed matters before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the Federal Circuit. In addition, he has acted as both an arbitrator and a mediator in alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Bob is well-regarded among his clients for his general business acumen. Among other things, he has considerable experience in foreign and domestic licensing, trade secrets, and other business-related matters. His first book, Cost-Effective Patenting, was published in March 2004 and has been very well-received. His second book, Strategic Patenting, was published in March 2007. Other books underway include the Inventor's Guide to Patenting, the Investor's Guide to Patenting, and the University's Guide to Patenting. Bob is also the author of the PatentBeast.com website and blog.
- J.D., cum laude, California Western School of Law, 1990
- Graduate course work in medicine and electronics
- B.A., Natural Science, University of Pennsylvania, 1974
- California State Courts
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- State Bar of California
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Orange County Patent Law Association
Recent Articles and Presentations:
- 2007 - Strategic Patenting; Trafford Publishing, 634 pages
- 2004 - Cost-Effective Patenting; SkyMan Publications, 158 pp